Work at home jobs are on the rise and in high demand. Digital Works provides work at home opportunities and teaches modern and necessary skill sets to secure these jobs. Working from home calls for certain requirements and lifestyles for success. Use our home office checklist below to discover your work from home capability. A print friendly version can be found here.
HOME OFFICE CHECKLIST
Answer the following questions as thoroughly as possible to help begin the process of setting up your home office. Upon completion of this worksheet you should have the information you need to set up your office and use it efficiently.
1) How do you work best? (Check all that apply)
|I need absolute quiet to get anything done||I don’t mind interruption|
|I like to spread out when I work||I like everything organized and neat|
|I need lots of natural light when I work||I don’t mind using a desk lamp|
|I prefer traditional office hours||I work best at night or on weekends|
2) What are my possible options for an office in my home? (Check all that apply)
|Master Bedroom||Kitchen Table|
|Spare Bedroom||Utility Room|
|Finished Attic||Other (Please list)|
3) Who will be accessing my office?
4) In the location that I have chosen, how many of the following are there in the room?
|Phone jacks||Locking Door|
5) Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)? _______________________________________________
6) Type of service? _____________________________________________________
7) What are the results of your speed test? __________________________________________________
8) Is your telephone landline, VOIP, or cell? __________________________________________
THINGS TO CONSIDER
DESK: Ideally, you will have space for a traditional desk where you create an ergonomically correct workstation. But, if you need to get creative, you can make a table, counter or other flat surface work.
CHAIR: Take time to select and invest in a comfortable chair; it is one of the most important parts of an efficient home office. Again, ergonomics and comfort count when it comes to sitting, so make sure you test out a chair before making a purchase.
ADEQUATE LIGHTING: Having an adequate lighting level is very important. You don’t want to deal with headaches and eye strain from squinting or using lighting that makes it hard to read.
MULTI-FUNCTION PRINTER: Most printers today are also outfitted with scanning, copying and faxing functionalities, so you can purchase one slightly more expensive machine instead of four separate ones. When looking for printers, take into account the cost of ink as well.
TELEPHONE: Depending on what your employer requires, you may need to have either a POTS landline or VoIP. Either way, access to a phone service will be necessary in order to work from home.
COMPUTER: Do your research so you can select a computer that meets your specific needs.
Tech Specs for your PCs:
- 0 GHZ Processor (minimum of a Pentium 4 processor or equivalent processor running at a clock speed of 3.0 GHZ)
- 2 GB of RAM for Window users
- 12 GB of available hard drive space
- PC must have a vendor manufactured date less than six years in age as some older models are not compatible with secure online environments.
- The following machines cannot be supported at this time:
- Apple Mac & Macbooks – all models
- eMachine EL 1352 and EL 1352G
- Acer Aspire Z3101
- Acer Aspire X3400G
- Hewlett-Packard 120-1126
- Acer Aspire XC-603G
- HP 19-2113w
- HP 19-2013w
- Lenovo H500s 10157
ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE:
- Monitor – 17” minimum (capable of 1024×768)
- Flat Panel Display highly recommended
- No televisions used as monitors
- Connecting an external monitor to a laptop is not permitted
- An approved headset
- Must have an available USB port with all unnecessary peripheral items removed during work hours (i.e. cameras, printers, game controllers, webcams, etc.)
- No wireless devices ( i.e. headset, keyboard, mouse)
- Telephone with a mute button available, to be used during training, team meetings, feedback sessions, and all scheduled work hours
- (Monthly telephone and internet charges are often the responsibility of the employee and are not reimbursed by the company)
- Wired router – such as those sold under the brand names Belkin, Linksys, Netgear, and D-Link
Computer Software requirement checklist:
|One of the following Windows Operating Systems (Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10)|
|Internet Explorer 6.0 SP2 or better|
|Minimum Windows Media Player 9.0|
|Adobe Flash player plug-in version 9.0 or above installed|
|Minimum Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0|
OFFICE SUPPLY NEEDS ASSESSMENT
|Supply||Currently Own||Need to Purchase||Possibly Need|
|Furniture||Desk or Armoire|
|Telephone (landline or VOIP)|
|Thumb Drive (storage)|
|Basic Supplies||Multipurpose Paper|